My first finished quilt! Go me!
A variation on a Trip Around the World quilt, made with strips from a Kona Solids Classic jelly roll and Moda Snow. Machine quilted in a square double spiral, using King Tut thread in Cleopatra. Binding: Benartex Scribble Multi. Backing: from the Very Hungry Caterpillar range. The quilt finished at 34″ square.
Accurately cut pieces are vital if you want to achieve an accurately pieced result! I pre-washed my jelly roll strips, which left me with frayed edges, which meant my squares are far from square. They also don’t line up – I didn’t know about pinning my seams to help them match up. My borders are wavy, because I measured the edge of the quilt, not the middle.
Machine quilting turned out to be much easier than I feared. I attached the binding by machine, too, and that worked out ok. On my old sewing machine, I had no seam guide, so if I was using the walking foot, I couldn’t easily measure the seam allowance properly. On my new machine, I do have a seam guide, so next time I’ll be able to sew an accurate 1/4″ seam and use the walking foot.
I love the binding fabric, and the backing is super cute and cheerful, but I wouldn’t use them together again. They’re too busy together. I should probably have used a single-colour stripe for the binding instead.
Now don’t think I’m putting myself down for writing this! I’m a scientist, after all, and part of my job is to analyse, to learn, and to do better next time. I love the quilt I’ve made, and I love it even more for all the lessons I learned making it 🙂